Tuesday, August 28, 2012

As For Me and My House . . .

Yesterday there was a CNN blog by Eric Marrapodi called “Bill Nye slams creationism.” According to the blog Mr. Nye is, “a mechanical engineer and television personality best known for his program, ‘Bill Nye the Science Guy’.” In the blog the author quotes from an online video that Mr. Nye released for Big Think last Thursday and adds some thoughts of his own. Here are a few quotes from the article:
"Denial of evolution is unique to the United States," Nye begins . . .

Nye . . . said the United States has great capital in scientific knowledge and "when you have a portion of the population that doesn't believe in it, it holds everyone back."

"Your world becomes fantastically complicated if you don't believe in evolution,"

"I say to the grownups, if you want to deny evolution and live in your world, that's completely inconsistent with the world we observe, that's fine. But don't make your kids do it. Because we need them. We need scientifically literate voters and taxpayers for the future. We need engineers that can build stuff and solve problems," he said.

"In another couple centuries I'm sure that worldview won't even exist. There's no evidence for it. So . . ." Nye ends his video.
So, if Mr. Nye was your teacher, or your child’s teacher, or someone your neighbor listened to on TV or the internet, how would you respond?

In opposition to Mr. Nye’s “advice” or “plea” to grownups, Psalm 78:4 says, “We will not hide them from their children, but tell to the coming generation the glorious deeds of the Lord, and his might, and the wonders that he has done.” ESV

So, we face a choice. It is not unlike Joshua's challenge to Israel before his death, recorded in Joshua 24:15, “And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.” ESV

Making the decision to serve the Lord and teach of His wondrous works which confound the wisdom of the wise, are you equipped to answer your children’s questions? Are you confident in your own position and can you supply answers to the doubts the enemy wants to plant in you? Do you know why you, and your family, can stand with your head up, unashamed, declaring the Genesis account to be true? What is your reply to the claim that believing in Creation is not believing in science?

These are important questions, not just intellectual debates for fun. These questions cut straight through Genesis to the entirety of the Bible itself, which ultimately affects our faith in God, the Gospel, and our worldview. Words and beliefs like Mr. Nye’s are what you and your family and coworkers and neighbors are facing in increasing waves.

Do you know what you believe and why you believe it? The answer you will give is more critical than you can imagine.

3 comments:

  1. Love this post! The Evolution/Creation debate is one of my hobbies. I read on it and teach on it quite a bit with my youth. I love your take on it. Here is a few posts that I also blogged about recently.
    http://richardpmoore.blogspot.com/2012/03/creationism-and-miracles.html
    and...
    http://richardpmoore.blogspot.com/2012/03/creationism-and-noahic-flood.html
    Hope you enjoy!
    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richard! I will absolutely check out those posts. You'll see browsing back that it is a passion of mine as well. In fact I am hoping to have a paper I wrote on my "evolution" from atheist through theistic evolution to young earth creationism finished soon. It started as a quick reply to a lady who asked my about why I believe in young earth creationism and just grew. I have put in a lot in it about why I believe it is a critical issue as well. I used to think it just fun to talk about. Now I believe it a core issue in our society's future. I will post on my blog when it is available and I will have it as a free PDF in case anyone wants to read it. I look forward to "talking" soon as I visit your site. I'll sign up for email subscriptions if you have that option so I can stay current with what you are doing and God is doing in you. God bless you. —Erick

      Delete
  2. I'd love to read that! ill keep checking back! Good to have Christ honoring fellowship here in Cali.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, I look forward to and value your sharing. Due to a large number of SPAM comments, you will need to enter a word verification before your comment will be sent to me for moderation. Your comment will be visible after I publish it. Erick

P.S. If you want to have follow up comments to yours sent to your email address, click on the "Subscribe by email" link below. You will need to do this for each post you want to follow comments on.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails